The O'Connor Law Firm
Free Consultation 24/7 Availability
800-724-1053 212-566-4868
Practice Areas

No-fault insurance can help you after a car accident

Car accidents are terrifying and sometimes tragic. If you have been involved in an automobile accident, you may be pulled into the unpleasant realm of complicated insurance regulations, healthcare bureaucracy and legal loopholes. It is important to understand how you are protected by your own insurance policies and state law. Please take a moment to learn more about no-fault insurance and how it can help you through a difficult time, if you are involved in an accident.

What is no-fault insurance?

New York has laws that require insurance providers to include no-fault insurance. It covers medical expenses and loss of wages for individuals injured in a car accident, regardless of who was at fault. It can even cover pedestrians who are struck by a motor vehicle. It includes a minimum of $50,000 of coverage for everyone in the vehicle, and it can cover wage loss up to $2,000 each month. These payments are tax-free.

What is not covered by no-fault insurance?

Like with any insurance, coverage limitations can be complex. First, motorcycle riders and their passengers are not included in no-fault coverage. Also, uninsured vehicles are usually not covered. In addition, coverage can be complicated for a passenger in someone else's uninsured vehicle. In general, car accident victims are covered even in uninsured vehicles provided they have their own insurance policies and do not live with the owner of the uninsured car.

Coverage is also tied to residency. Non-New York residents are usually reviewed on a case-by-case determination. On the other hand, those travelling out of the state are covered throughout the continental U.S. and Canada, provided they are eligible within New York.

Getting payments

Insurance claims typically come with a variety of rules and regulations, and no-fault is not an exception. Any claims for wage loss have to be filed, in paper, within 30 days of the accident. As for medical bills, they need to be filed within 45 days of treatment.

Lost wages are typically covered at 80 percent of gross wage, up to a maximum of $2,000 each month. Medical expenses are covered up to the cap of the policy, but chronic issues and long-term treatments need to be submitted in written form to secure payments, and the provider may require a consultation with another physician. Medical treatments do not need a referral to see a specialist, but a referral is typically required for diagnostic work like MRIs or CAT scans.

While this covers the some of the basics, it is only the beginning. Insurance matters and compensation for car accident victims can be complicated. Therefore, if you were involved in a motor vehicle accident and are unsure about how to file a claim, need help meeting deadlines, were denied compensation for your injuries or have questions about how to take care of yourself or your loved ones to the fullest extent, consider consulting with an attorney. At the O'Connor Law Firm, we can guide you through the paperwork and legal process to get the compensation you deserve and help you get back on your feet.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Send Us A Confidential Message For A Free Consultation

Get Started Now

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Contact Information

The O'Connor Law Firm
45 Broadway, Suite 3020
New York, NY 10006

Toll Free: 800-724-1053
Phone: 212-566-4868
Fax: 212-208-2689
New York Law Office Map