Common Construction Accidents in Staten Island
Worker Injured in an Accident in NYC or Long Island? Learn About the Common Construction Accidents in Staten Island from Our Lawyer
Although there are many dangerous jobs, working in construction is one of the most dangerous ones. According to statistics from the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), 20% of all worker fatalities in the United States are caused by construction accidents. Of construction accidents, roughly 60% to 65% are due to what is known as the “fatal four,” which includes falls, hit-by/struck-by incidents, electrocutions, and caught-in betweens/crushed. However, our experienced construction accident lawyer knows that there are many other common construction accidents in Staten Island that could result in personal injuries to innocent people at construction sites. Many of these common causes are not known to workers who may not realize that they have been injured due to the negligence of another person or business.
That’s why anyone who has been seriously injured in any type of construction accident in New York should call the O’Connor Law Firm. Our experienced construction accident lawyer in Staten Island can help victims and their families recover compensation for their personal injuries, medical bills, lost wages, and other damages due to any type of workplace accident. Whether it was a fall, struck-by, electrocution, crush accident, or any other type of accident, victims should call to schedule a FREE consultation to learn more about their rights to compensation under the law.
Common Construction Accidents in Staten Island We Can Handle
- Struck-by or hit by an object
- Electrocutions, and
- Crushing accidents or caught-in betweens.
These are very serious and account for the majority of all fatal accidents. However, some of the other types of construction accidents include the following:
- Slip and falls – any type of slip, trip, or fall at a construction site can result in serious personal injuries for a victim. This could be over debris or other materials, or it could be due to unstable ground, unmarked holes, or other dangerous at a job site.
- Crane accidents – cranes are incredibly dangerous pieces of machinery. Although the dangerous most people believe is from the objects behind hoisted up, and that is true, the other dangers also include those which could be caused by counterweight on the back of the crane. Workers who are standing along the side of the crane might be safe until the crane turns, and they are hit by the counterweight on the back which sticks out much further from the sides.
- Demo accidents – construction also includes demolition, which can mean explosives, controlled collapsed, and use of machines to take down walls. Some demo accidents can be dangerous and result in serious injuries when proper protocols are not followed.
- Lull and forklift accidents – these machines are inherently dangerous and can result in serious personal injuries when they are used inappropriately or by untrained, reckless, or outright negligent operators. Construction accidents caused by lull and forklift accidents can result in compensation for victims and their families.
- Chemical exposures – individuals who are exposed to cleaning chemicals, glues, solvents, epoxies, gas, fumes, and other chemicals could suffer serious personal injuries that could affect them for the rest of their lives. Individuals who are negligently exposed to these substances should contact an experienced personal injury lawyer for help.
- Trucking accidents – construction workers can be injured by truck accidents and other vehicle accidents on the job site. This is often because the area that is being driven on is unstable and unlevel, which could cause inexperienced drivers to topple over or cause a rollover, crash, or another type of accident.
- Tool errors and mishaps – most tools are inherently dangerous, especially saws and other cutting devices. However, companies who fail to properly clean, maintain, or put together tools could be making it much worse and more dangerous for individuals using them. Mistakes with these tools could result in catastrophic personal injuries.
- Elevator shaft accidents and stairwell accidents – holes in the ground for elevators, stairs, or other access points can be very dangerous on a job site, even if they look obvious. Workers are obligated to mark out and put barriers around these holes to prevent workers from falling or getting injured on a job site. Individuals who are injured in a fall in a shaft like this could be seriously injured or wrongfully killed in a construction accident.
Injured in a Construction Accident? Call Our Construction Accident Lawyer in Staten Island
If you or a loved one were seriously injured in any of the common construction accidents in Staten Island noted above, or any other types of worksite accidents, call the O’Connor Law Firm for help with your case. Our experienced construction accident lawyer can help victims and their families handle an injury case in New York, especially one that results in catastrophic injuries and significant medical bills or lost wages. To learn more about how we can help you and your family, contact us today by dialing (718) 948-3500 or by sending us an email through our “Contact Us” box available here. We are here to help you.