New York City Pedestrian Accident Attorney for Injuries in All Five Boroughs
Most New Yorkers find themselves walking at some point during their daily routine. Unfortunately, no matter how careful you are when crossing a street, you can’t always protect yourself from careless drivers. Pedestrian accidents have become common and have been on the rise in recent years, despite the Mayor’s Vison Zero initiative to make roads safer for pedestrians. If you or a loved one have been injured in a pedestrian accident, you need an experienced New York City pedestrian accident lawyer on your side. Whether you select our Manhattan or Staten Island office, The O’Connor Law Firm will fight for your rights and help you get the compensation you deserve.
Common Causes of NYC Pedestrian Accidents
The Governors Highway Safety Association (GHSA) cites a number of possible reasons for the continuing increase in pedestrian accidents and fatalities, including the growing popularity of light trucks and SUVs, warmer weather, and an increase in cellphone use while driving. The study notes that in 2009, 48 percent of new vehicle sales were light trucks (which includes SUVs), and in 2018, that number had risen to 69 percent.
According to the report, pedestrians who are struck by a large SUV are twice as likely to die as those struck by a car. According to the New York City Department of Transportation, driver inattention is cited in almost 36% of crashes resulting in pedestrians killed or seriously injured. Here are the most common causes of New York City pedestrian accidents:
- Distracted Drivers. Driver inattention caused by the increased use of smart phones and other electronic devices have made the problem of distracted driving worse in the past decade.
- Speeding. Drivers’ failure to obey the speed limit is a significant cause of traffic accidents. Speeding, combined with limited sight distance and overgrown bushes and trees blocking stop signs, increases the likelihood of an accident and the severity of the injuries.
- Failure to Yield. According to the NYC Department of Transportation, 27% of fatal pedestrian crashes involved drivers’ failure to yield. Pedestrians have the right of way when crossing a street with the light, in a crosswalk or at a stop sign.
- Turning at intersections – As a driver makes a turn, they can be easily distracted, especially if they are using a smartphone while driving. The vehicle’s front windshield pillar is also a cause for vision interference which can increase the risk of turning accidents.
- Driving while under the influence of drugs or alcohol. The use of alcohol by the driver and/or the pedestrian was reported in 47% of all fatal pedestrian crashes in 2017 according to the NHTSA.
- Pedestrian distraction/carelessness. Although a smaller cause of most pedestrian accidents, the use of smartphones by pedestrians while walking across streets increases the chance of a crash. Pedestrians should also avoid crossing against the light or mid-block as these action can increase the likelihood of an accident.
Pedestrian Accidents Can Cause Serious Injuries
Pedestrians are at a severe disadvantage in vehicle accidents as they are completely vulnerable and exposed, while motorists and passengers are protected by their vehicle. These impacts can cause serious and sometimes catastrophic injuries. Some of the injuries include:
- Broken bones and sprained and torn ligaments
- Shoulder, knee and joint injuries
- Head injuries/concussions/traumatic brain injuries (TBI)
- Spinal cord injuries/herniated discs
- Internal organ damage
- Nerve Injuries
- Severe lacerations/amputations
- Psychological trauma
Pedestrian Accident Statistics Show An Increase in Fatalities for New Yorkers
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), there was a more than 3% increase in the number of pedestrians killed in traffic crashes in 2018, totaling 6,283 deaths. This averages one pedestrian death every 84 minutes. Between 2009 and 2019, pedestrian fatalities have been consistently rising year over year after a steady decrease between 1988 and 2008. In 2009, there were 4,109 pedestrian deaths compared to 6,283 in 2018, a 53% increase.
In New York City, there were 218 traffic fatalities in 2019, including 121 pedestrian deaths, an increase from 2018 when 202 traffic fatalities occurred, including 115 pedestrian deaths. Pedestrian deaths were at an all-time low of 108 in 2017, but have increased over the last 2 years. According to the New York City Department of Transportation, pedestrians are 10 times more likely to die than motorists in traffic accidents.
How Can A New York City Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Help?
Pedestrian accidents not only cause physical injuries, but can also result in psychological trauma, lost wages and the inability to return to work. While New York law provides Personal Injury Protection (PIP) coverage to provide for a portion of lost wages and medical bills, oftentimes it is not enough to make an injury victim whole. A New York City or Staten Island pedestrian accident lawyer from our firm can review the facts of your case and help you get the full compensation you deserve.
The O’Connor Law Firm has helped many pedestrian accident victims get their lives back on track after an accident has turned their lives upside down. These are some of the steps we take in handling your pedestrian accident case:
- Hire an investigator to visit the scene, gather evidence, including obtaining witness statements and possible video of the accident from local businesses;
- Notify the at-fault driver and insurance company to determine insurance limits and put them on notice of the claim;
- Review client’s own insurance policy, if applicable and notify carrier of accident, as necessary;
- Handle insurance paperwork and guide client through the insurance process;
- Negotiate with insurance companies;
- Allow client to focus on recovery while we protect your rights;
- Litigate your personal injury case;
- Communicate with you on a regular basis and keep you informed at every stage of the process.
Call or message us today so we can help you get your life back on track. We are ready to help you get the compensation you deserve.
Damages You May Be Entitled To After A Pedestrian Accident in NYC and Staten Island
After suffering injuries in a pedestrian accident, The O’Connor Law Firm can help you seek all the damages you are entitled to, which may include:
- Medical expenses (past and future)
- Lost wages (past and future)
- Pain and suffering (past and future)
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Psychological and emotional distress
We offer a free case review, so contact our offices today.
Contact Our NYC Pedestrian Accident Lawyer So We Can Help You Today
Let us protect your rights so you can focus on your recovery. The O’Connor Law Firm handles cases in all five boroughs of New York City, including Manhattan, Staten Island, Brooklyn, The Bronx and Queens. A New York City pedestrian accident attorney can come to you if you are unable to travel to one of our offices. Contact us today to learn more about how we can help you.