New York City Fracture and Broken Bone Lawyer
Some people assume that they don’t need a bone injury attorney to help them seek compensation for damages when they have broken bones. This is often true with minor fractures that heal quickly and likely will not lead to any long-term complications.
Unfortunately, some people suffer severe multiple fractures or experience complications from treatment, including bone infections and bone deformities. In other cases, failure to get the right treatment can lead to chronic, lifelong pain at the location of the break.
If you have broken bones due to another party’s negligence or intentional harm, New York law entitles you to seek compensation for damages related to your injuries. A New York City broken bone lawyer at The O’Connor Law Firm is here to help you get the compensation you deserve. Contact us today at 212-566-4868 for a free case evaluation to learn the best path forward for your situation.
Common Causes of Fractured Bones
Several events and accidents can lead to broken bones. Some common causes of fractured bones include:
- Motor vehicle accidents
- Pedestrian accidents
- Bicycle accidents
- Ridesharing accidents
- Slip and fall accidents
- Construction accidents
- Apartment building accidents
- School/playground accidents
Types of Fractures
During an accident or other event that leads to broken bones, people can suffer multiple types of fractures. They include:
- Displaced Fracture. This occurs when a bone breaks into two or more pieces and moves out of alignment.
- Non-displaced Fracture. This occurs when a bone breaks but does not move out of alignment.
- Closed Fracture. This occurs when a bone breaks but does not break the skin.
- Open Fracture. This occurs when a bone breaks through the skin. This type of fracture requires immediate emergency care.
Fractures are also categorized based upon the pattern of the fracture as follows:
- Avulsion Fracture: These fractures occur when a bone fragment is separated from the bone.
- Greenstick. Sometimes called hairline fractures, greenstick fractures occur when the bone has not completely broken or separated.
- Transverse. These fractures refer to clean breaks straight across a bone.
- Spiral. A spiral fracture occurs when the bone breaks in a spiral shape and commonly happens in a twisting injury.
- Oblique. Diagonal breaks across a bone with a curved or sloped pattern are called oblique fractures.
- Compression. Crushed bones that appear wider and flatter are referred to as compression fractures.
- Comminuted. This type of displaced fracture occurs when the bone breaks into three or more pieces or fragments.
- Segmental. A segmental fracture occurs when a bone breaks in two places leaving behind a “floating” segment.
Symptoms of Fractured Bones
If you, your child, or another loved one experiences any of these symptoms, you must seek immediate medical treatment because you might have a broken bone:
- A limb or joint that appears misshapen
- Swelling or bruising
- Intensive pain
- Numbness and/or tingling
- Broken skin with visible bone
- Unable to move a limb
Treatment for Broken Bones
Depending on the type of break you suffer and the extent of the break, you might have to undergo one or more treatments for your fracture(s). The most common treatments for broken bones include:
- A cast or splint to immobilize the break
- Traction, which is the forced stretching of the muscles and ligaments around the bone
- External fixation, which is a surgical procedure involving screws and rods that attach to a structure outside the body
- Open reduction and internal fixation (ORIF), which is a surgery where the doctor re-aligns the bone and holds bones together with permanent hardware such as metal pins, plates, rods, and screws.
How Can a New York City Broken Bones Lawyer Help Me?
The most severe fractures can easily cost tens of thousands of dollars in medical treatment costs, or more for those who need one or more surgeries. Additionally, those who suffer broken bones typically must miss some work, forcing people to lose income while medical bills roll in. A New York City broken bones lawyer can help you recover damages for the losses related to your injuries. Specifically, a bone injury lawyer can help by:
- Evaluating your claim’s facts and identifying the party or parties that you can hold financially responsible for your injuries.
- Gathering evidence to support your claims, such as documents, police reports, expert opinions, and witness testimony.
- Handling communication with insurance adjusters who like to use questionable tactics to deny or devalue injury claims.
- Negotiating a fair settlement for your claim and fighting for you in court when the insurance company refuses to offer a fair settlement.
Compensation for Fractured Bones
If your attorney negotiates a fair settlement agreement for you, or if a court rules in your favor, you could receive compensation for the following damages and losses related to your fractured bones:
- Medical treatment costs
- Lost wages
- Costs for rehabilitation and assistive devices
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of enjoyment of life when broken bones cause permanent injuries
- Future lost earnings if you are unable to return to work
- Future medical care if your injuries require long-term treatment
Speak with a New York City Broken Bone Lawyer at Our Manhattan or Staten Island Office
At The O’Connor Law Firm, we understand how devastating broken bones can be. We are here to fight for you to get the compensation you deserve while you focus on healing and recovery. Contact us today for a free consultation by filling out our contact form or by calling us at 212-566-4868.