New York City Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Helping Injured Bikers
Many New Yorkers enjoy riding motorcycles for recreational purposes or as an alternative to other commuting options. However, riding a motorcycle can be a dangerous activity due to the lack of protection that bikers face when involved in a collision. If you have been seriously injured in a motorcycle accident or a loved one has suffered wrongful death due to the fault of someone else, get the help you need from an experienced New York City motorcycle accident lawyer. At The O’Connor Law Firm, we will deal with the insurance companies, guide you through the legal process, and help you get the compensation you deserve. Our offices are located in Manhattan and Staten Island, but we can come to you if you are unable to travel.
Motorcyclists are Prone to More Severe Injuries Than Car Passengers
When a motorcyclist is involved in a collision with a passenger vehicle, the injuries to a biker are often more serious and sometimes catastrophic. There are several reasons why bikers have a higher fatality rate than vehicle occupants after a collision:
- Motorcyclists are more vulnerable on impact due to the very nature of a motorcycle – it has no metal enclosures or other protection except for use of a helmet.
- Motorcycles operate on two wheels which make them less stable than four-wheel vehicles.
- Motorcycles often have difficulty being seen by larger vehicles and trucks due to their smaller size and blind spots of larger vehicles.
- The smaller size and lighter weight of motorcycles make them vulnerable to potholes or other roadway defects that do nothing more than feel like a bump in the road to passenger vehicles.
Motorcycle Accident Statistics & National Motorcyclist Fatalities
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), there were 5,172 motorcyclists killed in vehicle crashes in 2017. Additional statistics include:
- Motorcyclists accounted for 14% of all traffic fatalities.
- 94% of motorcyclists killed were riders while 6% were passengers.
- 28% of motorcycle riders killed in vehicle crashes were alcohol impaired.
- 65% of motorcycle fatalities occurred at non-intersection locations.
- The fatality rate for motorcyclists was 6 times higher than for vehicle occupants.
NHTSA estimates that helmets saved the lives of 1,872 motorcyclists in 2017. If all motorcyclists had worn helmets, an additional 749 lives could have been saved.
New York City and State Motorcycle Accident Statistics
According to the Institute for Traffic Safety Management and Research, the total number of motorcycle crashes involving injuries in New York decreased from 3,790 in 2017 to 3,559 in 2018. The data further reveals that motorcyclist fatalities in New York increased to 149 in 2018 from 143 in 2017.
The NYC Department of Transportation also conducted a Motorcycle Safety Study that revealed the following:
- New York City’s fatal crash rate for motorcyclists is nearly twice the rate of New York State motorcyclists.
- Motorcycle injury crashes are more likely to occur during the afternoon or evening hours and on weekends.
- The majority of motorcycle fatality crashes occur on city streets, rather than highways.
- There were 197 motorcyclist fatalities in New York City between 2010 and 2014.
Most Common Causes of Motorcycle Accidents
While the majority of motorcycle accidents are caused by operators of passenger vehicles, trucks and others, there is an inherent bias against bike riders and a false perception that cars and trucks have a greater right to the road and should not have to make room for motorcyclists.
This bias and false understanding of the rules of the road can create dangerous conditions for motorcyclists and result in reckless behavior by other drivers. The following are the most common causes of motorcycle accidents:
- Distracted driving
- Unsafe lane changing
- Dangerous road conditions
- Following too closely
- Improper and unsafe turns
- Failure to yield
- Blind spots
- Disobeying traffic controls
- Lane splitting
- Driving under the influence
Who Is Responsible For My Motorcycle Accident?
The O’Connor Law Firm investigates all motorcycle accidents to determine all possible causes of your accident. Sometimes there may be multiple parties who are at fault. Your Manhattan or Staten Island motorcycle accident lawyer will analyze all the evidence to determine who may be responsible for your injuries. Responsible parties may include:
- Vehicle and truck drivers: All drivers have a duty to operate their vehicles in a reasonably safe manner and to observe the rules of the road.
- Employers of commercial drivers: An employer can be liable if an employee is negligently operating a vehicle or truck that causes injuries.
- Maintenance and repair contractors: Accidents caused by improper maintenance will lead to liability for the maintenance company.
- Manufacturer of motorcycle parts: Manufacturers can be held responsible for defective parts that result in accidents.
- Municipalities: If a motorcycle accident is caused by a dangerous roadway, such as potholes or other hazards, the municipality responsible for road maintenance can be held responsible.
At The O’Connor Law Firm, our Manhattan and Staten Island motorcycle accident attorneys often retain investigators and accident reconstruction experts who assist us in collecting evidence in order to determine who is responsible for your motorcycle accident. We will not stop until we have provided you with the best possible outcome of your case.
Common Injuries from Motorcycle Crashes
Motorcycle riders and their passengers are vulnerable to severe injuries as a result of the lack of protection during an impact with another vehicle or the pavement. Some common injuries include:
- Road rash
- Brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Broken bones
- Arm and leg injuries
- Internal organ damage
- Nerve damage
- Scarring and disfigurement
- Amputation/loss of limb
- Wrongful death
If you or a loved one have suffered serious injuries in a motorcycle accident, get help now from an experienced motorcycle accident lawyer. If you are unable to travel to our office, we can come to you. We will answer your questions and give you the peace of mind you deserve.
Damages Your New York City Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Will Pursue
If you’ve been injured in a motorcycle accident in New York City due to the fault of someone else, you may be entitled to compensation for your injuries, including damages for economic loss and pain and suffering. We can help you recover for all the damages you are entitled to, including:
- Hospital bills
- Rehabilitative care
- Physical therapy
- Past and future lost earnings
- Pain and suffering
- Scarring and disfigurement
- Emotional distress
- Property damage
Don’t let the insurance company take advantage of you before you speak with an experienced motorcycle accident attorney. It is important to understand how much your case is worth. At The O’Connor Law Firm, we are dedicated to providing aggressive legal representation to motorcycle accident victims. We will explain the damages you may be entitled to and guide you through the legal process.
Contact a New York City Motorcycle Accident Attorney Today
If you or a loved one have suffered serious injuries in a motorcycle accident due to the negligent conduct of another, you have the right to seek compensation, including all past and future medical costs and for your pain and suffering.
We will provide answers to your questions and give you the confidence to know that your case will be handled by an experienced NYC trial lawyer so that you can focus on your recovery.
We offer free initial consultations and are available 7 days a week. You do not pay us until we win your case by settlement or verdict. Call us at 212-566-4868 or 718-948-3500 today so we can help you today.