Supermarket and Retail Store Accident Attorney in New York
While more and more shoppers are getting their groceries, electronics and other items on the internet these days, there always seems to be a need for a trip to the local supermarket, mall or retail store. Even a seemingly mundane trip to the supermarket can result in a serious accident when safety measures are not followed by store owners.
If you’ve been injured in a New York City supermarket accident or other retail store accident, call The O’Connor Law Firm and let us help you understand your legal options. We will answer your questions and guide you through the legal process. Call us today to schedule a free case review or fill out or contact form.
Common Types of Supermarket Accidents
Most supermarket or retail store accidents are caused by the store owner’s failure to maintain the facility in a reasonably safe condition. Some of the most common types of supermarket accidents include:
- Supermarket slip and fall accidents:
- Wet floors caused by leaking refrigerators or freezers.
- Liquid spills in the aisles caused by broken bottles or other goods.
- Supermarket trip and fall accidents:
- Boxes or pallets improperly placed in aisles and walkways.
- Display racks improperly placed in aisles and walkways.
- Door mats that are worn, in disrepair, and not fastened to the floor.
- Unstable displays
- Falling objects from store shelves
Can I Sue For Falling In A Store?
Yes, you can sue for injuries sustained in a store accident. These cases are considered premises accidents. Like most negligence cases, in a premises accident case, you must establish that four elements of a negligence case:
- causation, and
All businesses that are open to the public have a duty to keep their premises in a reasonably safe condition for anyone lawfully present on their property. In order to win a supermarket or store accident case, you must establish that the store owner breached their duty by failing to maintain the premises in a reasonably safe condition and that their failure caused your accident resulting in injuries.
How Do I Prove Negligence in A Supermarket Accident?
In order to prove a supermarket or retail store was negligent, you need to prove that you sustained an injury due to a dangerous condition. This condition could be any type of dangerous hazard, including an accumulation of water or other liquid or substance, an uneven or raised surface on the floor, a box, display rack or other object causing a tripping hazard or any other type of dangerous condition.
You then must prove that the supermarket or store owner, or its agent or employees, either (1) caused and created the dangerous condition; or (2) knew or should have known of the dangerous condition within a reasonable time prior to your injury and failed to make the condition safe. This is called actual or constructive notice.
What Should You Do Immediately After A Supermarket Or Store Accident?
If you are injured in a supermarket or retail store accident there are several things you should do:
- Call for medical help. Even if you do not think you are seriously injured, it is advised to seek medical attention as soon as possible as your adrenaline after an accident may mask your pain. A medical exam will also serve as documentation of the accident and detail your complaints.
- Take photos of the accident scene if you are able, including any dangerous conditions that caused your fall. Many times, accidents caused by liquid spills or other temporary conditions are quickly removed.
- Get names and phone numbers of witnesses, including any employees or customers as it will be almost impossible to get this information later
- Report the accident to the store manager. Also, do not sign any reports that are blank. This will ensure the store cannot claim it didn’t happen and also put them on notice that they should preserve any video surveillance of the accident, if available.
- Contact a supermarket or retail store accident lawyer before speaking to the insurance representative or risk manager for the supermarket or retail store. Any representative from the insurance company or store will attempt to manipulate you into saying something that can be used later to hurt your case.
How Can An Attorney For Supermarket Accidents Help Me?
An Attorney for supermarket and retail store accidents can help you get the full compensation you deserve by leveling the playing field with insurance companies and preparing your best possible case. We can help you recover all the damages you may be entitled to, including:
- Hospital bills;
- Pain and suffering;
- Future medical care;
- Loss of future earnings;
- Emotional distress;
- Disfigurement and scarring;
- Loss of enjoyment of life.
At The O’Connor Law Firm, we often retain liability and medical experts as necessary to prove a defendant’s negligence and the extent of your injuries. We are available to answer your questions and help guide you through the legal process.
Get the Help You Need by Calling a NYC Supermarket and Retail Store Accident Lawyer Today
If you were injured in a supermarket, mall or retail store, you may have questions about your legal options. Call The O’Connor Law Firm before you speak with an insurance adjuster or risk manager. We will provide answers to your questions and the guidance you need to navigate the legal process. We offer free consultations and there is no obligation. Call us today at 212-566-4868 or 718-948-3500 or fill out or contact form online and let us help you.