Staten Island Car Accident Lawyer for Help After a Crash
Anyone who drives regularly in Staten Island knows that we have some of the most dangerous intersections in New York City. Some of these intersections include New Dorp Lane and Hylan Boulevard, Richmond Avenue and Arthur Kill Road, Victory Boulevard and Clove Road, and Rockland Avenue and Manor Road. Many vehicle accidents in Staten Island are caused by speeding or distracted driving on roads like the Staten Island Expressway, West Shore Expressway, and Richmond Parkway. Attorney Brian J. O’Connor is an experienced Staten Island car accident lawyer who currently lives on the North Shore and is very familiar with the dangerous nature of Staten Island roadways.
The O’Connor Law Firm has offices in Staten Island and Manhattan and handles all types of vehicle accident cases including the following:
- Car accidents
- Bus accidents
- Pedestrian accidents
- Bicycle accidents
- Truck accidents
- Taxi, Uber and Lyft accidents
- Motorcycle Accidents
Never Assume The Auto Insurance Company Has Your Best Interests In Mind
You should never talk to the other driver’s insurance adjuster or sign anything without first consulting a Staten Island car accident lawyer. While you must report the accident to your own insurance carrier, you should discuss the details with a lawyer as soon as possible.
Navigating the busy streets of Staten Island is never easy. Navigating the insurance process while trying to recover from personal injuries is much more complicated. I will take on the burden for you.
What Should I Do After An Auto Accident?
- Seek Medical Attention – If you are hurt, or even think you might be hurt, pursue medical attention immediately. If you wait to get medical treatment, the insurance company will likely use that fact to suggest that your injuries were not very serious. Getting medical treatment right away and attending all suggested follow up are critical. Keeping notes on when your appointments were and how long they took you away from work are helpful as well.
- Take Pictures – Once you are well enough (or if you are seriously injured send someone else) go back to the scene of the accident and take pictures that will help you explain the circumstances around the accident. Pictures of your injuries, your car, the other cars involved and the intersection where the accident happened can all be very helpful in helping you explain exactly what happened.
- Take Notes – There are auto accident cases where weeks or even months go by before you are asked to tell your version of the accident. Taking a few notes about what time the accident happened, which way you were traveling, the names of any law enforcement officers you spoke with and obtaining a copy of the police report are all very helpful in helping you remember exactly what happened.
How Can A Staten Island Car Accident Lawyer Help Me?
If you have been injured in a car accident in Staten Island your damages may include more than your physical injuries as accidents can also result in psychological trauma, lost wages and the inability to return to work.
While New York law provides No-Fault coverage to pay for a portion of your lost wages and medical bills, sometimes it is not enough to make an injury victim whole. A Staten Island car accident lawyer can review the facts of your case and help you get the full compensation you deserve.
The O’Connor Law Firm has helped many car accident victims navigate the legal process to get the compensation they deserve after an accident has turned their lives upside down. Here are some of the steps our accident attorneys will take in handling your car accident case:
- Hire an investigator to visit the scene, gather evidence, including obtaining witness statements and possible video of the accident from local businesses;
- Notify the at-fault driver and insurance company to determine insurance limits and put them on notice of the claim;
- Review client’s own insurance policy, if applicable and notify carrier of accident, as necessary;
- Handle insurance paperwork and guide client through the insurance process;
- Negotiate with insurance companies;
- Allow client to focus on recovery while we protect your rights;
- Litigate your personal injury case;
- Communicate with you on a regular basis and keep you informed at every stage of the process.
Remember, there is never any obligation to hire us as your accident attorney. We don’t get paid unless we win your case.
Damages You May Be Entitled To After A Staten Island Car Accident
After suffering injuries in a car accident, The O’Connor Law Firm can help you seek all the damages you may be entitled to, which may include:
- Medical bills
- Lost earnings
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Psychological and emotional distress
We offer a free case review, so you have nothing to lose by reaching out to us.
Can I Sue for Minor Injuries in a New York Motor Vehicle Accident?
New York Insurance Law §5102 defines what types of injuries are entitled to compensation when they are caused by auto accidents. It is important to understand that the Insurance Law was not drafted to help you, but to help the insurance companies limit their exposure.
“Serious Injury” Under Insurance Law §5102:
Pursuant to the New York “Serious Injury” Threshold Law, if you have been injured in a vehicle accident, you must satisfy the “serious injury” threshold by meeting one of the following categories:
- significant disfigurement;
- loss of a fetus;
- a permanent loss of use of a body organ, member, function or system;
- a permanent consequential limitation of use of a body organ or member;
- a significant limitation of use of a body function or system; or
- a medically determined injury or impairment of a non-permanent nature which prevents the injured person from performing substantially all of the material acts which constitute such person’s usual and customary daily activities for not less than 90 days during the 180 days immediately following the occurrence of the injury or impairment.
While some of these categories, such as “fracture” are clear, soft tissue injuries involving the neck and back are often the basis of much litigation as to whether they satisfy any of these categories.
In sum, you must sustain what is defined as a “serious injury” which is defined with a lot of confusing legal words that sometimes create questions of fact for a jury to determine whether an injured party’s injuries rise to the level of a “serious injury” or are considered “minor” and not serious in which case you will not be able to recover anything for these minor or temporary injuries.
There are also times when there is a dispute as to whether the injury is permanent and/or whether it was caused by a prior accident.
You may be confused by what constitutes a “serious injury” as opposed to a “minor injury” after reading the legal definitions under the Insurance Law. You are not alone. Many judges have issued conflicting decisions on very similar injuries. You should contact an experienced Staten Island car accident lawyer as early as possible so that you can understand your legal options.
Contact an Experienced and Aggressive Staten Island Car Accident Lawyer Today
If you have been injured in a car accident on Staten Island, one missed step with the insurance company can leave you with a settlement that will not fully cover your injuries.
The O’Connor Law Firm offers a free initial consultation to help you understand how the law applies to your case as well as your legal options. We can come to you if you are unable to travel to one of our offices. Contact us today to learn more about how a Staten Island car accident attorney can help you.