Website Image Skip to Content

Who Will Pay My Medical Bills?

Who pays your medical bills depends on your specific type of accident:

Vehicle Accidents

In a vehicle accident, your medical bills will be paid by the insurance company of the car in which you were a passenger at the time of the accident. If you were a pedestrian or bicyclist, your bills will be paid by the insurance carrier of the car that came into contact with you. This is called no-fault insurance or PIP coverage – it does not matter who is at fault for the accident.

Work-Related Accidents

If you were injured during the course of your employment such as in a construction accident, although you may have a personal injury case against the owner or general contractor, your medical bills will be paid through your employer’s or union’s workers compensation coverage.

Premises Accidents

If you were injured on someone’s property such as a home or commercial business, there may be a “Med-Pay” clause in the owner’s policy that will provide for medical bill payments. Again, this is without any regard for who was at fault for the accident.

Other Accidents

In cases that do not encompass the above examples, such as a trip and fall on a public sidewalk, roadway, parking lot, or other type of accident, you may be required to use your own health insurance, including if you are a Medicare or Medicaid recipient.

Contact Us If You Have Additional Questions

It can be confusing for injury victims to determine who or how their medical bills will be paid. An experienced attorney will be able to guide you through the insurance process to identify potential insurance policies that could assist in paying for your bills. Should you have additional questions about your medical bills, give us a call and we will be glad to provide you with additional information.